Saturday, November 14, 2009

The Narrator Made Rookie Mistakes

“The Fall of the House of Usher” is a typical horror movie plot in which I am constantly questioning “why don’t they just leave the house?”. In the Amityville Horror for instance, the family just never left the house, and the same thing happened in The Haunting in Conneticut – being two of a very minimal amount of scary movies I have ever seen. So if I were in the House of Usher, I would run out of there SO fast. I would not care for Roderick or his twin sister Madeline; I would just care for myself and get out.

This being said, if I HAD to stay at the House of Usher, what would I do? I would make sure Madeline is dead before I buried her, first off. That’s just a rookie mistake. Second, if Roderick is freaking out, I wouldn’t read him a story to help calm things down – especially if there is a bizarre gas surrounding the house. I would figure out what is causing his emotions, and what is causing the eerie gas outside. If Roderick could have figured out his sister was buried alive earlier, then he would not have died from fear. Handle problems as they come; don’t try to avoid them.

1 comment:

  1. I love the rookie mistake. Really, there is somewhat of a big difference between dead and alive. It is almost funny, in a sad way, how many people were buried alive way back in Poe's time.

    Leave the house? But that would be thinking logically!!

    ReplyDelete